Home | deutsch  | Plain Language | Legals | Data Protection | Sitemap | Intranet | KIT

FAQ Relating to the Corona Virus

KIT is prepared and capable of acting. Here are the FAQ answered by the Crisis Unit.
Key visual corona virus

Updated on March 27, 2020 on the topics International Students / Other Languages / Cancelled Courses / Postponed Exams

Your health is our top priority. To prepare the KIT in the best possible way for a potential crisis by Corona infections in the district of Karlsruhe, the Executive Board of KIT has set up a Crisis Unit as a preventative measure. In this Crisis Unit, all heads of the relevant organizational units are working together. The Crisis Unit is constantly observing the changing situation and will provide information on imminent measures on the KIT homepage, the “Studying” website, the intranet (employees portal), the students portal, and other channels, if applicable.

Deutsche Version

General Questions



Why are the buildings on Campus South, West, and East locked?

Public access to the campuses is very limited. Contact and information points for students and staff have switched their advisory services to telephone, email, and mail (and, if necessary, to the Microsoft Teams software). For this reason, access is no longer needed by persons from outside of the respective institutes and the public and is restricted to staff members. Guests and service providers with an appointment should contact their contact person in the building in advance by telephone or, if necessary, on the site via intercom to gain access.

Employees can still access the campuses via the SIPORT system (KITCard) (corresponding to the access options for nights and weekends). If necessary, additional authorizations can be requested promptly via DE FM (gm3-ses-cs∂fm.kit.edu).

Back to Overview



What does a curfew mean for KIT?

The curfew restrictions imposed by German authorities so far are aimed at preventing "groupings/gatherings and personal contacts" in public space in order to break the chains of infection. In the cases of curfews known to date, shopping, visits to the doctor, and going to work are still permitted in Germany. The way to your workplace at KIT, hence, is permitted and not subject to official restrictions.

The current restricted operations of KIT consequently would not be affected by this type of curfew. The measures to restrict personal contacts at KIT as set out by the decrees and ordinances of the state government (CoronaVO) remain in force.

In the municipality of Eggenstein-Leopoldshafen and in other municipalities, a ban on accessing public space has been imposed. This does not include, among others, access and paths for professional purposes. To make the professional purposes plausible, employees are to always bring along their KIT company cards when going to or returning from the KIT campus.

In the unlikely event that the official curfews should be tightened, the crisis team is in contact with the public order office. To ensure essential operating and service processes and, if necessary, emergency operation at KIT, the necessary staff would in this case be provided with appropriate certificates (colloquially "passes"). If essential processes in your organizational unit are endangered by a curfew prohibiting access to work, discuss the situation with the head of the organizational unit, who will then contact the crisis management team if not already done.

Back to Overview


I heard the canteen and the dining hall are closing. Is that true?


With the aim of limiting the spread of the Corona virus to a manageable level and following the recommendations of health authorities, Robert Koch Institute, and supervisory authorities, the normal canteen and catering operations at the KIT sites will be restricted. This means:

  • Operation of the casino - the canteen on Campus North - will be restricted from March 18, 2020 until further notice: the dining hall will be closed. The consumption of food on site is no longer possible from then on. In order to ensure the supply of food for the employees, food will be offered for pick-up. Advance orders that are sent to catering∂aserv.kit.edu by 4 p.m. of the previous day(!) can be picked up on the day of consumption between 11.30 a.m. and 2 p.m. Two meals (one of them vegetarian) are offered, please check the current menu at: https://www.aserv.kit.edu/casino.php
  • The restaurant at Gastdozentenhaus (guest house & conference center) on Campus South and the catering service there are closed with immediate effect until further notice.
  • The bistro and the guest casino are closed until further notice.
  • Access to the vending machines in the canteen on Campus North is possible at any time for KIT members with cards. The vending machines are stocked according to schedule. The vending machines are freely accessible during meal distribution hours.

Read more:


The Studierendenwerk has also discontinued operation of the canteen on Campus South. Details can be found on the following website:


Back to Overview


What is recommended from the medical point of view? (As of March 16, 2020)

The Corona virus has arrived in Germany. Prevention and Attention are required, please follow the advice of the experts: 

In general:

  • Reduce the number of personal contacts.
  • Wash your hands regularly and thoroughly.
  • Do not touch your face in general, as pathogens enter the body via the mucous membranes of the mouth, nose or eyes.
  • Cough and sneeze in disposable handkerchiefs, which you can dispose of quickly, or in the crook of your arm if necessary.
  • If possible, keep a distance of 2 meters from the other party.
  • Let your meetings take place in larger, well-ventilated rooms or organize telephone or video conferences (e.g. using Microsoft teams or the DFNconf service of DFN-Verein (as long as capacity is sufficient)).

Everybody can help contain infectious diseases. Outside of hospitals and doctors’ practices, disinfectants and breathing masks hardly have any effect. According to WHO, wearing of a mask in situations in which this is not recommended may give a false sense of security, as a result of which important hygiene measures, such as a good hand hygiene, might be neglected:

In case of a justified reason, KIT members are free to call the company physicians, the general practitioner, or the health authority (Gesundheitsamt) for a personal telephone consultation.
For all questions regarding the Corona virus, the State Health Authority has established a hotline, via which citizens are given advice. Call 0711-904-39555 on working days between 9 and 16 hrs.

Back to Overview


Where and how is the risk of contracting the novel Corona virus (SARS-CoV-2) highest? How rather not? (As of March 16, 2020)

Corona viruses causing respiratory diseases are primarily transmitted via secretions distributed by ill persons to people in their vicinity when they cough or sneeze. If these infectious secretions reach the hands of a person in the vicinity, who then touches its face (i.e. mouth, nose, or eyes), the virus may be transmmitted in this way. Good hand hygiene therefore is an important part of prevention.

Transmission via inanimate surfaces, by contrast, has not yet been documented. Hence, infection with the Corona virus via surfaces of e.g. imported goods, mail, or luggage appears unlikely. (Secretions transmitting viruses via the pathway mentioned above may adhere to surfaces in the direct vicinity of a symptomatic patient for a short term only). In general, thorough hand washing as recommended by the Federal Center for Health Education (BZgA) is an important element of personal hygiene and can protect you also against a variety of other infections, such as gastrointestinal diseases.

The RKI continuously updates latest information on the Corona virus: https://www.rki.de/DE/Content/InfAZ/N/Neuartiges_Coronavirus/Steckbrief.html

Droplet infection appears to be the main transmission route. Smear infections or infections via the conjunctiva are theoretically possible, but very unlikely. Due to these facts, the authorities recommend to focus prevention on personal protective measures. As in case of influenza and other respiratory diseases, observation of coughing and sneezing rules, good hand hygiene, and social distancing also protect you against transmission of the novel Corona virus. Shaking hands should also be avoided.


Back to Overview


Where can I find information about the Corona pandemic in other languages?

The Federal Government's Integration Officer provides up-to-date information in various languages on the following website:


Back to Overview


Questions from Employees







How can I get in touch with my contact person at Human Resources (Personalservice PSE)?

In view of the special situation, KIT Human Resources (Personalservice PSE) currently receives an enormous number of inquiries. In order to be able to answer as many of your telephone inquiries as possible, but also to be able to cope with all other tasks and problems at the same time, PSE now offers  telephone consultation only. You can contact PSE on the phone from Monday through Friday from 9 to 11 via the contact persons‘ regular office numbers, even if some of them work from home.

Outside office hours, PSE is of course available by email and, if necessary, by phone outside the above-mentioned hours if pre-arranged  by email. Before you call or write, please check if answers to your questions can be found in the updated FAQ on the KIT homepage. Please kindly understand that PSE must take these measures to be able to work and to process your inquiries effectively during this special situation.

Back to Overview


I am at home office and take part in flexitime. How do I get my times credited?

If you share data with ESS/MSS, enter your times using the clock-in/out corrections and have them approved by your supervisor using the system

If you do not participate in ESS/MSS, and are still on campus occasionally, please note down your daily working hours for one working week and have the list signed by your supervisor. Then scan and email the weekly total of your working hours to the time management staff at PSE-Zeitwirtschaft, stating your personnel number. Time reports can also be sent to PSE-Zeitwirtschaft as collective Business Unit or Staff Unit lists via the relevant secretariat.

If you do not participate in ESS/MSS and will not be coming to campus for the foreseeable future, please note your daily working hours for one working week in a list (Word/Excel) and email it to PSE-Zeitwirtschaft with your supervisor in CC. Time reports can also be sent to PSE-Zeitwirtschaft as collective Business Unit or Staff Unit lists via the relevant secretariat.

Back to Overview


Mobile work at the home office is new to me. Who can give me some tips on healthy work at home? Who can provide technical support?

Technical questions relating to home offices and mobile work are answered by SCC, the IT center of KIT. On its websites, you will find information and detailed explanations regarding the following matters:

  •     Opening secure accesses to the KIT network (VPN);
  •     advantages of the remote Windows desktop (RDS);
  •     checking emails with Web Access (OWA);
  •     organizing video conferences (Microsoft Teams and DFNConf); or
  •     importance of cyber security in times of Corona (phishing etc.).

Find more and latest information at

The Microsoft-Teams software is now available for online collaboration of staff groups (chats, online meetings, video conferences, notes, joint editing and exchange of files, and to-dos): https://www.scc.kit.edu/en/services/ms-teams.php. For the Windows clients administrated by SCC (OPSI), distribution usually takes place automatically. When working from at home, however, many devices are located outside of the KIT network. For instructions to start the installation on your own, click: https://www.scc.kit.edu/en/services/10786.php. If you have questions relating to Microsoft-Teams, contact teams-support∂scc.kit.edu.

The KIT Health Network gives tips on ergonomics and aids for healthy work (not only) at home: http://gesundheit.net.kit.edu/299.php

The Staff Unit Conflict Management and Psychosocial Counseling (KMB) is at your side in this currently particularly stressful situation: http://www.kmb.kit.edu/

Back to Overview


I have heard that I am supposed to work from home office. Is that correct?

In order to limit the spread of the Corona virus to a manageable level, it helps to reduce personal contacts to the necessary level in private and professional environments. What is necessary is usually decided by those affected and responsible on the premises, who are best able to oversee the effects of measures for their own tasks.

In this context, the universities and academies are to exhaust the possibilities for their employees to work from home (teleworking, mobile working) until April 19, 2020, while ensuring the necessary functionality of the respective institution: this is the current policy of the Ministry of Science and Art of the State of Baden-Württemberg.

KIT staff members are requested to consult their superiors by telephone to find out whether and how working from home can be made possible without unjustifiably affecting KIT's tasks and processes. Since this is not a quarantine measure, employees who (now) usually work at home can still come to necessary appointments on campus or bring and take work documents (while maintaining adequate data protection).

Information on mobile work in the home office can be found on the SCC website.

Back to Overview


I have applied for leave and flexitime, can I cancel?

If the remaining leave is from 2019, an already approved leave can unfortunately no longer be cancelled. However, it is possible to cancel leave days from the leave entitlement for 2020, as this can be taken until September 30, 2021.

Flextime requested can also be cancelled. Please note, however, that on June 30, 2020 all flextime plus hours exceeding 40 hours will be cut in accordance with the "Service Agreement on Flexitime".

Back to Overview


My workplace at KIT always is very busy. Colleagues or customers frequently come to me for consultation. Which protection measures are reasonable?

Public events, such as student advisory services, will be switched to telephone or electronic measures, if possible, in compliance with the usual advisory hours.

If not possible the Robert Koch Institute recommends: As in case of influenza and other acute infections of respiratory passages, observe cough and sneeze etiquette, ensure good hand hygiene, and keep away from possibly infected persons (about 1 to 2 meters). These measures help protect you against the new Corona virus and are also recommended in view of the current wave of influenza. Use the graphics provided by the Federal Center for Health Education in several languages or by the RKI and stick them on your office doors or put them up in waiting areas. This will make your conversation partners aware of the situation and will help establish a common code of conduct by doing without shaking hands or keeping more distance. Talk to your conversation partner openly about the measures recommended for the protection of both of you.

Outside of hospitals and doctors’ practices, disinfectants and breathing masks hardly have any effect. According to WHO, wearing of a mask in situations in which this is not recommended may give a false sense of security, as a result of which important hygiene measures, such as a good hand hygiene, might be neglected:

Back to Overview


Information concerning LBV (State Office for Salary).

Due to the dynamic development in connection with the coronavirus, LBV has been closed for visitors since Wednesday, March 18, 2020, until further notice. KIT Employees who wish to contact LBV are requested to make inquiries via the customer portal. In particular, aid applications should be submitted via "Aid Online", since these digital applications can be processed more easily in telework. You will find the link to "Beihilfeantrag-Online" (Aid Online) in the customer portal under the menu item "Service".


Back to Overview


My user certificate for secure digital communication is expiring. How do I get a new one?

The certification body's operations at SCC have adapted their procedures to minimise the risk of infection. It provides information on the current procedure at: https://www.ca.kit.edu/english/index.php

Back to Overview



Due to current developments regarding the Corona virus, up to 10 days of special paid leave for childcare will be granted until April 19, 2020. The KIT Executive Board has decided that this applies to all KIT staff employed under the terms of the collective agreement.

The prerequisites are:

  • Actual closure of a community facility, such as a childcare center, day care center, parent-child initiative (or similar) or school, in response to the spread of COVID-19.
  • The children affected by such closure are under 12 years old.
  • Alternative care for the child(ren) otherwise cannot be guaranteed.
  • There are no official reasons for not granting of the leave. Here, agreement with your superior is required.

Civil servants (Beamte) and staff employed under the terms of the collective agreement (tariflich Beschäftigte) in principle are to be treated equally when there is an important personal reason in terms of occasion and extent (No. 46.4 BeamtVwV). In individual cases, the respective superior, within the scope of his or her discretion, may grant civil servants special leave with unchanged remuneration for caring for children up to the age of 12 years (this also applies to children who are not ill) or for caring for children, who permanently are in need of care due to a physical, mental or psychological disability, in accordance with Article 29 (1) No. 1 AzUVO, provided that there are no official reasons against this.

As stated below for employees, civil servants may be granted special leave with continued payment of remuneration for the necessary period of absence from work until April 19, 2020 due tot he special circumstances resulting from the spread oft he Corona virus (cf. No. 46.4, last paragraph, BeamtVwV). In principle, every employee can apply for paid exemption from work for caring for children up to the age of 12 years. In case both spouses work at KIT, every spouse is entitled to these 10 days of leave. Parents have to apply for paid exemptions from work that are decoupled in time.

In this context, it must be examined whether care for the children cannot be guaranteed by other persons (No. 46.4, par. 3 BeamtVwV), whether mobile work can be carried out at least partly (despite childcare), and whether it is possible to reduce overtime.
In particular in the case of longer periods of absence, leave may also be granted for other reasons, with remuneration being lost according to Article 31 (1) in conjunction with paragraph 3 AzUVO, if there are no official reasons against this.

Use this form to apply.

Back to Overview


By order of the authority, the care facility of a relative was closed (daycare, school, care for the elderly). What can I do?

If you have to stay at home due to the closure of schools or daycare facilities for children under 12 years of age, contact your superior to find the best solution for your situation. If possible, mobile working from home should be arranged. If this is not possible, take a leave or reduce overtime in accordance with the flexible working time scheme. It is also possible to take up to 10 days paid leave or unpaid leave for longer periods.

If no other family members can provide care or if your presence at home is required due to special health conditions of the person to be cared for, please immediately inform your superiors and the time management officer responsible by email, with the reasons being indicated and the corresponding documents (notification or publication of closure of the care facility, medical certificate) being enclosed.
If you are unable to be present at your place of work or can only be present to a limited extent due to your care obligations, please ask for mobile work, leave, or - if possible – take flextime/overtime in agreement with your superior until you have organized another care option. If leave or flextime/overtime are not sufficient to care for your child, you will have to take unpaid leave of absence (Article 29, paragraph 3, clause 2, TV-L/ TVöD). In agreement with your superior, the flexitime regulation may be handled generously. In order to allow for flexible work execution, the core time regulation will be suspended until April 19, 2020 for these employees.

If you have to care for close relatives who belong to a so-called high-risk group (chronically ill persons, persons with a weakened immune system, patients undergoing chemotherapy, etc.), we recommend you to consult the doctors of the person to be cared for. On the basis of the respective medical recommendations, the responsible time management officers will check the possibility of a daily paid leave of absence.

If your child falls ill, you are entitled to 10 working days of paid leave for child care according to Article 45, paragraph 2, SGB V (German Social Security Code) upon presentation of a corresponding medical certificate.

Back to Overview


I have relatives in need of care. Now their nursing staff is not available. What can I do?

In accordance with § 2 Para. 1 of the Home Care Leave Act (Pflegezeitgesetz), Employees to take up to ten days leave without continued payment in order to organize appropriate care for a close relative in need of care in an acute care situation. In accordance with § 44a Para. 3 Sentence 1 SGB XI, employees are entitled to a care support allowance for their loss of payment. You can apply for this by contacting the nursing care insurance fund or nursing care insurance of your relative. Please contact the nursing care insurance or nursing care fund directly in order to clarify whether the prerequisites for the short-term work inability according to § 2 Pflegezeitgesetz (Home Care Leave Act) are met and to receive the nursing care support allowance.

Back to Overview



I live in the French Grand Est (i.e. in Alsace, Lorraine, or Champagne-Ardenne) or was there in the past 14 days. What should I be aware of?

The Robert Koch Institute declared the Grand-Est region a risk area on March 11, 2020. People who live there or stayed there in the last two weeks should – irrespective of potential symptoms - avoid unnecessary contacts for two weeks (since their last stay). In particular, this means that they should not go to work or study at the university.

Employees are to proceed as follows: In telephone agreement with your superior, you are to be given the possibility to work from home. If you work from home, please note that you should no longer enter the KIT premises and that you should not have any personal contact to colleagues to collect or hand over work documents, for example. Observe the rules of home quarantine of the public health authority. The primary aim of this precautionary measure is to break a possible chain of infections. If the nature of your work does not allow you to continue it from home, you will be exempted from work with payment. Your superiors will inform you accordingly using a form that is to be completed and forwarded to PSE-Zeitwirtschaft (PSE Time Management).

Back to Overview


I have just come from abroad. What shall I do?

In general: Irrespective of potential symptoms, persons, who stayed in a risk area identified by the Robert Koch Institute in the past two weeks, should avoid unnecessary contacts for a period of two weeks after their return from the risk area and, if possible, work at home in agreement with their superior. In this case, do not enter the premises of KIT and do not contact your colleagues personally e.g. to hand over work documents. Observe the rules of self-isolation at home. The paramount objective of this preventative measure is to interrupt the potential chain of infections.

If persons, who returned from RKI risk areas, cannot carry out their work from home, the superior and the responsible officer of DE PSE arrange for a paid leave from work for a period of 14 days upon return from the RKI risk area.

Students returning from an RKI risk area: Call your lecturers to find out how you can catch up with your studies later on or how examinations can be carried out taking into account the recommendations made by the Robert Koch Institute. As regards non-participation in examinations due to a return from a risk area or disease, it is referred to the Studies and Examination Regulations and the deregistration and withdrawal provisions contained therein. By way of derogation from the Studies and Examination Regulations of KIT and in view of the special situation resulting from the new Corona virus (SARS-CoV-2), students in the current examination phase (until May 2020) are enabled to withdraw from all controls of success at short written notice without having to indicate any reasons. For more information, click here. More information on the course of examinations is given by the lecturers and examination committees. If you are sick or not able to participate in an examination as a result of a quarantine or other consequences, but need a prompt alternate date for important reasons, contact the responsible examination committee.

In case civil servants (Beamte) have been infected by the Corona virus, they have to stay away from office. Civil servants, who are suspected of having been infected by the Corona virus and are put into quarantine by a doctor’s order or by order of the Health Authority, are fit for duty in the medical sense, but are prevented from fulfilling their duties by legal or factual reasons according to Article 68, par. 2, cl. 1, LBG BW and, hence, have to stay away from office. If telework or mobile work is not feasible or reasonable, special leave with continued remuneration according to Art. 31 AzUVO may be granted depending on the special circumstances of the individual case until final clarification of the health status.

The Medical Services provide persons returning from travels with latest health recommendations.

Back to Overview


I expect guests from abroad. What is to be considered?

International exchange enriches scientific work on all levels. Guests from abroad are generally welcome at KIT. A general renunciation of visits is not recommended. Prior to their travels, please make your guests aware of the current situation in Germany and the prevention recommendations by the Robert Koch Institute.

Guests from risk areas or guests, who traveled through risk areas in the last 14 days, are recommended to undergo self-isolation at home by RKI, as a result of which their visits of KIT are excluded.

Back to Overview


I plan a business trip. What shall I consider?

At the moment, the German Foreign Office generally advises against traveling outside of Germany, as it cannot be excluded that local authorities will take quarantine measures as soon as you enter the country of your destination or while staying there. Do not make travels that are not absolutely necessary. Discuss with your superior which trips are currently absolutely necessary for business reasons and which travels should be postponed to a later date.

The Robert Koch Institute continuously updates the list of risk areas (External Link). The German Foreign Office (External Link) particularly advises against traveling to these areas. The Medical Services of KIT (External Link) also provide information on health issues.

It is recommended not to travel to these regions, even if you have already planned these trips abroad. In addition, it is recommended not to travel to neighboring regions of risk areas, provided that these travels are not absolutely necessary. Speak with your superior about which trips are reasonable or required for business reasons and which travels should be postponed to a later date. Note that due to the current situation, entry and exit restrictions or quarantine orders exist at many locations.

Back to Overview



Do events and conferences have to be cancelled at KIT?

According to a decree of the State of Baden-Württemberg (CoronaVO of March 17, 2020), all public meetings and other gatherings are prohibited until June 15, 2020. The universities are expected to suspend their courses of study presumably until April 19, 2020. Online teaching services are still possible.

Appointments and meetings are permitted at KIT, provided that they are necessary to maintain the operations of KIT or its organizational units. When assessing how necessary or urgent an appointment is, the type of meeting, its necessity, urgency, importance, the group of participants, and the location must be taken into account.

If necessary, the risk of infection can be reduced with appropriate measures. Measures could be: Sensitization of the participants in the run-up of the meeting, communication or posting of rules of conduct, regular ventilation, a larger room, and more.

The Microsoft Teams software for online collaboration of groups of employees (chats, meetings, video conferencing, notes, joint file editing and exchange, and to-do's) is now available: https://www.scc.kit.edu/dienste/ms-teams.php

For users in the scientific sector, the DFNconf service of DFN-Verein offers video, audio, and web conferences (as long as capacities are available).

Back to Overview


I am in a risk group. Which possibilities do I have regarding my work at KIT?

A risk group includes persons who suffer from chronic primary diseases as defined by the RKI and, hence, have a higher risk of developing severe COVID-19 symptoms.

In case you are concerned about coming to the campus due to your chronic illness, the possibility of mobile work should be used first. If this is not possible, the possibility of minimizing the risk by taking measures at your workplace (e.g. individual workplace, work at different times) should be examined in agreement with your superior. If these possibilities are not available, the following applies:

Such persons shall be granted paid leave, unless this is in conflict with official reasons. Talk to your superior first. If the conditions are met, persons belonging to a risk group are granted special leave with continued payment of remuneration for the necessary duration of the absence, currently up to and including April 19, 2020.

These persons must present to PSE-Zeitwirtschaft (PSE Time Management) a certificate issued by their attending physician and stating that their state of health in connection with the existing risk makes exemption from work advisable.

Back to Overview


What am I supposed to do, if I or members of my household have been put in quarantine by order of authority?

A quarantine order is issued by the local health authority. The orders given by the health authority must be obeyed. Only if an official quarantine order has been issued by the authorities, is the respective person entitled to continued payment of remuneration for up to a maximum of 6 weeks in the event of an incapacity to work in accordance with Article 56 of the German Infection Protection Act. According to Article 19 BBiG, this also applies to trainees.

If you are put in quarantine, please send the corresponding order document by email to your superiors and PSE-Zeitwirtschaft (PSE Time Management) immediately. If only members of your household  (but not you yourself) are put in quarantine, you are not a contact person according to the classification by the Robert Koch Institute and will continue to go to work as usual. The same applies to “isolation at home" as recommended by the Robert Koch Institute.

Back to Overview


I would like to wash my hands, but there is no soap in the next lavatory or paper tissues are lacking. What can I do?

Our colleagues of DE ASERV (General Services) and the contracted service providers continuously take care of the lavatories and toilets on our campuses. Especially in high-use lavatories, however, it may happen that soap and tissues are used up or that some users do not leave the lavatories in a way we would want them to do.
In buildings used by a large number of people, such as the Library or Audimax, cleaning staff controls the rooms and the amounts of soap and paper tissues several times per day. If soap or tissues are lacking, please use another lavatory and notify the need promptly.

Our colleagues responsible for these matters will be happy about a short information with the number of the building, the floor, and the room number of the lavatory. The technical support staff of KIT can be reached by calling +49 721 608 5555  (internally, calling 5555 will be sufficient) or by mailing to stoermeldung-cn∂fm kit edu  (Campus North) and stoermeldung-cs∂fm kit edu (Campus South, West, East). In addition, employees and partners having a KIT account can use the web form of the ticket system in the Intranet. (Please note: The current ticket system was launched just a few days ago. If you have problems, let them know to your colleagues of DE FM (Facility Management). Click here for short instructions.

On the following websites, you will find information on when and how to wash hands as well as on reasonable prevention methods, such as cough and sneeze etiquette:
•    https://www.infektionsschutz.de/haendewaschen.html#c6354 (in German)
•    https://www.infektionsschutz.de/hygienetipps.html (in German)

Back to Overview

Questions about Studying and Teaching




Is there an online enrollment for accepted, international students?

International students are strongly asked not to appear in person for enrollment. KIT enables them to enroll online. They need to send all documents required in one email to the officer responsible for them. Please refer to your admission letter for name and address of your officer.


Back to Overview


Will the cancelled courses of winter semester 2019/2020 be resumed?

In accordance with the Baden-Württemberg Corona Ordinance, studies at the universities will be suspended until 19 April 2020 until further notice; studies that have already begun will be interrupted until that date. The universities will decide on their own responsibility whether to make up for cancelled courses and examinations. Whether and to what extent a course has to be made up for upon the resumption of studies will be communicated in due time by the examiners.  

Back to Overview


Will exams postponed due to the corona crisis have to be canceled or will students themselves have to cancel these exams online?

Students who have registered for exams with CAS-Campus do not have to cancel the postponed exams for the time being. As soon as an alternative date for the exam has been found, it will be entered in the campus system. The semester’s contents will not be changed.  Students will be informed of the new date and shall cancel that date only  if they no longer wish to take the relevant exam. The status “registered for the exam“ will be resumed for students who have erroneously canceled the postponed exams already. A procedure for HIS exams is still being developed.

Back to Overview


My studies cannot be completed as planned due to canceled examinations. Can I re-register retroactively, although I have already been exmatriculated?

You have not re-registered for the 2020 summer semester, because you planned to complete your studies in the examination period of the 2019/20 winter semester? In this case, retroactive re-registration is possible until April 20, 2020. Please transfer the semester charge (without the late charge) to the bank account stated in the reminder letter of February 18, 2020 sent to you. When transferring the charge, indicate the personalized purpose of payment given in the above reminder letter. The payment can then be automatically assigned to the student account. Additionally, use the contact form to inform the Students Office:
„Hiermit beantrage ich die nachträgliche Rückmeldung, die Überweisung des Semesterbeitrags habe ich bereits veranlasst“.

("I hereby apply for retroactive re-registration, I have already arranged for the semester charge to be transferred.")

If the information needed for transferring the charge is no longer available, please notify the Students Office using the contact form:
„Hiermit beantrage ich die nachträgliche Rückmeldung, bitte stellen Sie mir meinen personalisierten Verwendungszweck und die Bankverbindung zur Verfügung.“
("I hereby apply for retroactive re-registration, please send me my personalized purpose of payment and the bank details.“)

Back to Overview


What happens if the orientation internship for students is interrupted due to school closures?

According to a recommendation given by the Ministry of Education for the case of two thirds of the orientation internship (i.e. 10 days) having been completed, the missing five days do not have to be made up for at a later date. The KIT follows this recommendation.

Back to Overview


Wich regulations apply to the KIT Library and the learning rooms and pool rooms?

The KIT Library on Campus South is completely closed until further notice. Access is only permitted for library staff. Also completely closed are the KIT Library Campus North, the specialized libraries on Campus South, the Learning Center, and the specialized library DHBW Karlsruhe (FBD).

According to the ordinance issued by the state of Baden-Württemberg on infection protection measures in connection with the corona pandemic, all public assembly rooms shall be closed until further notice. This means that all KIT learning rooms and pool rooms must be closed as soon as possible. The necessary steps are now being taken.

Do courses such as lectures, seminars, or exams have to be canceled at KIT?

With immediate effect, all events and courses at KIT are canceled from March 17 to April 19, 2020. For students, this includes both on-campus courses requiring attendance as well as examinations (written examinations, oral examinations, also for obtaining the doctorate or habilitation). The aim is to contain the spread of the Corona virus to a manageable level. This decision is based on the ordinance of the state government on infection protection measures of March 16, 2020.

The KIT is in contact with the health and regulatory authorities regarding the question as to when examinations can be resumed. As soon as reliable information will be available, examiners and examination boards will publish it at the departments. Information will also be provided by the Crisis Unit on this website.

As regards the deadline for passing the orientation examination, the following exceptional rule shall apply: Students, who do not participate in an orientation examination foreseen in the studies plan during the period from March 13, 2020 to May 12, 2020, will be granted an extension of the deadline by one semester upon request to the examination committee responsible for this examination. The same shall apply when the maximum studies duration or the deadline of a reexamination expires during this period.

Examinations via a video conference

KIT tries to minimize the impact of the corona crisis on examinations. Video conferencing may be one option, if it is absolutely necessary to carry out the examination in a timely manner and prevent major disadvantages. Please refer to the PDF information and contact your examiner to apply. Please also note the following section:

Back to Overview


When will the cancelled courses and examinations be resumed?

As a result of the infection protection measures adopted by the state government, all examinations have to be canceled until April 19. Apart from written examinations, this also includes oral examinations of bachelor’s/master’s programs and oral doctoral examinations.
To limit delays in the course of studies and prevent backlogs, the canceled courses and examinations will have to made up for during the lecturing period in the summer semester – wherever possible. As soon as present circumstances shall allow, we will establish a central-decentralized working group to discuss the associated organizational matters and set up the respective plans. Check the FAQ frequently for the latest news. Check the FAQ regularly for the latest news.

Back to Overview


Are the deadlines for final and term papers extended?

In principle, the times of work on all current student theses (bachelor's, master's, and diploma theses as well as term papers or seminar papers, etc.) will be extended for as long as the academic education operations are suspended (as of March 20, 2020: From March 17 until April 19, i.e. by 34 days). This extension will not be set off against possible extensions of the time of work on a thesis according to the studies and examination regulations. For example, the examination boards can additionally extend requested extensions of the working time on bachelor's and master's theses by the duration specified in the studies and examination regulations, if the requirements are met.

Back to Overview


How is the start of studies in the summer semester being prepared?

Complete suspension of teaching operations until April 19, 2020 presents us all – students, lecturers, service providers, and officers of academic self-administration – with big and so far unknown challenges. While operations are suspended, we will prepare systematically and in a coordinated manner for the time after that.

Among others, KIT is preparing for operations not starting on April 20, 2020 or for operations being resumed in a limited form only. For example, it has to be expected that many students and employees will not be able to start their studies or work at KIT on that date because of quarantines or other consequences of the COVID-19 pandemic (in particular due to travel restrictions). To enable at least some academic education operations under these difficult circumstances, KIT’s Chief Information Officer, Professor Hartenstein, has set up an “Expertengruppe Online-Lehre“ (Expert Group for Online Teaching) in agreement with the Executive Board. This group of experts will soon clarify technical and organizational options of online teaching.

The Lenkungskreis IV-Themen in Studium und Lehre (Steering Committee for IT Matters in Studies and Teaching) will be involved in the further proceeding as a sounding board. Lecturers and students will becontinuously informed about further developments and the advice and recommendations of the expert group.

For further information, pleaser to the website of the Center for Technology-Enhanced Learning. Within the next days and weeks, further aids will be added successively. We kindly ask you to familiarize yourself with the services and tools available to you, if you have not already done so.

Back to Overview


Which online teaching options can be offered by KIT?

All courses offered online are registered in our ILIAS Learning Management System with the data relevant to online access. Thus, the essential information is available in one system. We are aware of the fact that the ILIAS system will be used even more than before, but it still represents a central point of online teaching services for our students.

Courses that are held in larger groups are to be recorded and made available for retrieval at any time. Further information in German is available at:  http://www.zml.kit.edu/corona-screenrecording.php

For interactive collaboration including live transmission of lectures in "smaller" groups (e.g. seminars, excerses, and tutorials), Microsoft Teams in the Microsoft Azure Cloud will be provided as a central service for entire KIT. Further information is available at: http://www.scc.kit.edu/en/services/ms-teams.php and http://www.zml.kit.edu/corona-online-seminare.php (in German) .

In addition, other services can be used for online collaboration, in particular DFNConf. Further information is available at: http://www.zml.kit.edu/corona-live-vortrag.php (in Geman) and https://www.scc.kit.edu/en/services/3672.php.

Within the next days and weeks, additional services and aids will be provided. We kindly ask you to familiarize yourself with the services and tools available to you, if you have not already done so.
During this period of crisis management, major performance deficiencies may occur both in KIT's own and in the external IT and communication infrastructure. Please remain patient and calm in this special situation. And be cautious and alert, as attackers (especially with phishing emails or corresponding services, e.g. by feigning information on Corona spread) could use the current crisis for their attacks.

Back to Overview

More information and contact persons



In case of a justified reason, KIT members are free to call the company physicians, the general practitioner, or the health authority for personal telephone consultation.

Questions relating to work at home are answered by your superior and the officer responsible for you at DE PSE. Here, we are focusing on the more intensive use of existing possibilities of telework or mobile working.

Lecturers having questions with respect to examination legislation may contact their departments or DE HAA.

Students are free to contact their lecturers, the deans’ offices, or the staff of the Students Office.

If you have any further questions, contact the Head of the Crisis Unit, Gerhard Frank, and his deputy, Boris Stegmaier, Safety and Environment Staff Unit (SUM): corona∂sum.kit.edu