The scientific disciplines of the Karlsruhe Institute of Technology (KIT) are organized in five divisions:
- Division I – Biology, Chemistry, and Process Engineering
- Division II – Informatics, Economics, and Society
- Division III – Mechanical and Electrical Engineering
- Division IV – Natural and Built Environment
- Division V – Physics and Mathematics
These five Divisions are essentially based on the KIT institutes executing research, teaching, and innovation work. Program-oriented research of the Divisions is organized in Helmholtz programmes. The KIT Departments are responsible for university education.