The scientific disciplines of the Karlsruhe Institute of Technology (KIT) are organized in five divisions:
- Division I – Biology, Chemistry, and Process Engineering
- Division II – Informatics, Economics, and Society
- Division III – Mechanical and Electrical Engineering
- Division IV – Natural and Built Environment
- Division V – Physics and Mathematics
These five Divisions are essentially based on the KIT institutes executing research, teaching, and innovation work. Program-oriented research of the Divisions is organized in Helmholtz programmes. The KIT Departments are responsible for university education. At the KIT Centers, scientists are working on division-overlapping research and innovation topics. In this way, interdisciplinary cooperation is supported at the KIT. The KIT Service Units render efficient services to support the actors in research, education, and innovation in fulfilling their key tasks. The KIT Service Units support both the staff and the organization and conceive development strategies in both areas.
The assignment of tasks is obvious from the organizational chart of the KIT.