Home | deutsch  | Plain Language | Legals | Data Protection | Sitemap | Intranet | KIT

Universität Karlsruhe (TH)

From the Polytechnical School to the Research University
Die Flaggen der Universität und des Forschungszentrums

Universität Karlsruhe (Karlsruhe University) goes back to the Polytechnical School established in 1825. It was one of the first of its kind in the German-speaking area. After its substantial reform, it developed to a model institute from 1832. It then generated decisive impetus for the development of polytechnical schools to technical universities.

The scope of subjects taught in Karlsruhe served as a model first for the establishment of the Federal Polytechnical School in Zurich (1855), then for the reform of the older polytechnical schools in Prague and Vienna, for the Collegium Carolinum in Braunschweig, and for the re-foundation of the Polytechnical School in Munich. From 1870, this type of polytechnical school was also established in Prussia.

William Barton Rogers, the founding director of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, summarized his opinion on the Polytechnical School in Karlsruhe in 1864 as follows: “The Polytechnic Institute at Carlsruhe, which is regarded as the model school of Germany and perhaps of Europe, is nearer what it is intended the Massachusetts Institute of Technology shall be than any other foreign institution.”